Re: Io does not work for the new gnu locale code on my system

Paolo Carlini <pcarlini@unitus.it> writes:

> Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>
>> I'd advise to use a newer glibc version but there's none out for SuSE
>> yet.  I can put an experimental version (taken from glibc CVS - 2.2.4
>> is the latest official release) in my private ftp dir after my holiday
>> - Peter, if you're interested, just tell me.
>
> Andreas, could you possibly summarize here (or perhaps on another gcc list, if
> you consider this off-topic) the current situation wrt the gcc3.x-glibc2.2.x
> incompatibility?

That's easy to summarize: This should have been solved finally thanks
to some good patches and testing mainly by Jakub Jelinek.

> I know that a complex patch went finally in in the glibc2.2.x branch: to what
> extent 2.2.5, when out, will be safely buildable with gcc3.x?

glibc 2.2.5 should work fine with GCC 3.0.3 - and newer.  As long as
GCC does not change it's interfaces again, there should be no problem
any more.  But it won't work with GCC 3.0.2.

Just for reference: The incompability means that you should not
compile glibc with GCC - you can compile glibc with an older GCC,
e.g. 2.95.x and compile your programs with any GCC.  Compilation of
glibc gives a glibc that is incompatible to other glibcs.

I don't have a release date for glibc 2.2.5,
Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de