-ffunction-sections always on now?

In my experimentation with using Dwarf 2 on Darwin, I turned on
named sections in GCC, because Mach-O does have named sections,
although they're limited to 16-char names (shades of COFF :-) ).

However, this make -ffunction-sections active.  I wouldn't care,
because I doubt our linker would do the right thing anyway, but
I noticed that libstdc++-v3 seems to try to build everything with
-ffunction-sections now, which is undesirable.  Is there a knob
I can control this with, or do I need to brute-force the config
script somehow?

Stan