Re: RCS ids in sources, argh

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 12:03:31PM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:
> I know some people are absurdly fond of RCS Id: strings in source
> code, but they are a mondo pain for anybody who imports FSF sources
> into their own repository - every one of them looks like a conflict
> to CVS, and has to be fixed via manual edits.  This is pretty tedious
> when it happens to half the files in docs/html for instance.  Could
> we *please* not have id strings in the sources?

Sure.  I needed them to solve a problem at the time, and that problem
has been solved.  They've been useful since then, but not critical.
(I'm talking about the ones in the HTML header block.)  Do you want to
remove them, if you're already having to edit the sources, or shall I?
(I won't get to it for a day or two.)

Phil

--
"You have to wonder what kind of life you have when your list of personal
rules begins with, '#3:  No drowning in your own mucus,' and '#4:  Don't