Re: [libstdc++-v3] Remove std::construct and std::destroy

> Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.COM> writes:
>
> | Anything that was well-documented on the SGI STL web site should stay in,
> | because lots of programs will use it.
>
> However, that does mean our main implementation should use such
> constructs willy-nilly.  Our version is already different from was
> once SGI-STL.
>
> In that sens, I completely agree with the proposed patch.

Right, it's fine (and desirable) for the library to avoid the use of
non-standard functions.  But we need to be careful before taking them away
from end users.  It might have been nice if SGI's STL web site were more
careful about differentiating standard functions from extensions, but
since it didn't, and it taught a lot of people how to program, a lot of
decent software will break if we take construct() and destroy() away.