Re: std::istream_iterator and eofbit

Bill Somerville wrote:

> Hi
>
> The ISO Standard and the v3.0 implementation agree that eofbit doesn't
> constitute an end-of-stream condition, why is this?
>
> If you use std::istream_iterator to form an input range to an algorithm,
> then an infinte loop ensues if eofbit gets set, are stream exceptions
> supposed to be used to terminate such loops?

OK its not quite as bad as I thought, I was testing for good() at the start

of my user defined extractor and exiting is the result was false (I now
realise that I should make sure failbit is set). This is
not a good idea! Still the original question stands although it doesn't
cause an infinite loop is good() is not used as a stream validation method
in extractors.

--
Bill Somerville