Does libstdc++ v3 not work with Canadian crosses?

[please CC me, I do not read this list]

I tried to build gcc 3.0 in a canadian cross.  It didn't work very well.

In the top level configure.in, we have this gem:
if [ x"${host}" = x"${target}" ] ; then
        # when doing a native toolchain, don't build the targets
        # that are in the 'cross only' list
        skipdirs="${skipdirs} ${cross_only}"
        is_cross_compiler=no
else

followed by:
if [ x${is_cross_compiler} = xyes ]; then
  targargs="--with-cross-host=${host_alias} ${targargs}"
fi

So --with-cross-host is passed automatically only if host != target.
The problem is that if --with-cross-host is not passed, the xcompiling=1
and NATIVE=0 block in libstdc++'s configure.in is never reached.  We try to
run mknumeric_limits.  It fails, because it was compiled for the target.  We
lose.

Any thoughts?