Re: PR3042

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 03:03:36PM -0700, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> >   static int i = 7;
> >
> > differently from:
> >
> >   static int i;
>
> Fiendishly confusing. Please make both of these work in the same manner.

Seconded.  The more I hear about the quirks of AIX linking semantics,
the less I look forward to explaining things like this to students
and mentees[*].  It's hard enough to teach programming without an entire
chapter given over to "stupid things you need to do but shouldn't, because
the compiler can't".

Phil
[*] Or whatever "people being mentored" are called... "victims"?