This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the libstdc++ project.
- To: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Subject: Re: PR3042
- From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: 11 Jun 2001 00:32:34 +0200
- Cc: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>, Gabriel dot Dos-Reis at cmla dot ens-cachan dot fr, bkoz at nabi dot net, jason at cygnus dot com, libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Organization: CodeSourcery, LLC
- References: <200106102158.RAA26986@makai.watson.ibm.com>
David Edelsohn <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
| Beyond that, you and Gaby do not seem to want to step back and
| even try to understand my arguments in the general sense.
I would like you don't personalize the debate -- that won't buy us
anything but miscommunication. Not just because I don't favor Jason's
proposal means I don't undertand the arguments. Jason's proposal has
pros and cons (as does Mark's) but as someone who has some experience
with C++ programming, I think the difference in behaviours of some
program constructs araising from Jason's proposal makes it a lesser
consistent work-around than Mark's.
| ... For instance, I
| don't care about xlC name mangling and that is a red herring argument that
| ignores the discussion.
I'm confused as to why you're bringing "xlC name mangling" into this
I would really appreciate much you try to understand the issue
(implicit instantiation implementation in G++ on AIX) and proposals at
hand instead of trying to personalize the debate. It is crucial that
you undertand the language semantics under discussion here.
Otherwise, we'll have nothing but ill-communication.
CodeSourcery, LLC http://www.codesourcery.com