libstdcxx_incdir passed down from top-level Makefile?

I don't see the point of passing it down from the top-level Makefile.
It's not set in there.  In fact, it's not set in that Makefile, even
though gxx_include_dir ends up referencing it, and gxx_include_dir
*is* passed down.  I don't see how this can work.

Should we stop passing these variables down or arranging for
libstdcxx_incdir to be set in the top-level Makefile?