Re: gcc 3.0 cannot compile pooma

Zack Weinberg wrote:
> It's not at all clear to me what the c_shadow headers are trying to do
> or why they don't work.  However, closing namespaces and extern "C"
> blocks at the _beginning_ of a header and opening them at the _end_
> looks, at the very least, impossibly fragile.

Constructions like those found in the shadow headers *are* fragile.
The good news is that it should be quite easy to add a compiler
extension something like

  namespace __global_namespace__ { ... }

where everything in the brackets is treated as if it occurred
at the top level, no matter how deeply nested the declaration
occurs.  Given that and ``extern "C++" {}'', much of the fragility
of the shadow headers could disappear.

Nathan Myers
ncm at cantrip dot org