Re: V3 static data in classes vs AIX

Ben> Still though, Tru64 doesn't have these duplicates, yet AIX does, so the
Ben> inconsistency still exists. Or maybe the Tru64 linker just doesn't care?

	AIX warns about the duplicates, but it is not an error.  The
duplicate warnings occur when linking statically, but that version works.
The warning simply points to the problem that occurs when dynamically
linking and the symbols are not shared.

	Does Tru64 support WEAK symbols?  I assume that it does.  AIX
currently does not provide for WEAK symbols.

	The duplicate symbols always exist and GCC relies on them to get
C++ semantics correct.  GCC also relies on how the linker resolves STRONG,
WEAK, and COMMON duplicate symbols.

David