Re: V3 static data in classes vs AIX

> It's not an AIX-only thing.  The same problem affects (or at least
> used to affect) IRIX and Tru64.  Of course, people who only run
> GNU/Linux won't ever know about the problem on other systems and the
> need for explicit instantiation unless someone educates them about it.

Right. Tru64 seems to need string::_M_rep::_S_max_size instantiations,
for instance. Frankly, I'm surprised that Tru64 and AIX seem to
need/require different instantiations. Why is this?

I would love a portibility document that explained linkage across file
formats, giving examples of specific problem code. Static and static
const data members (both integral and POD types as well as enums) seem to
be a constantly shifting target in terms of the linkage g++ actually
expects.

Then again, this is not a new issue.

-benjamin