Re: SUN make and gcc 3.0: committed changes to branch

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 04:28:11PM -0400, Stephen M. Webb wrote:
> On Thu, 31 May 2001, Phil Edwards wrote:
> >
> > Constructing the header install rules by hand is evil.  (This we all know.)
>
> Why is it so evil, if it does the job when nothing else seems to?

It's fragile and easy to get wrong.  We've been moving away from that,
not towards it (I hope).

Most of the fragility and easy-to-get-wrongness would be elided, I think,
if we did some kind of pre-install header tree, as you suggested, during
configuration.  Maybe just copy/link everything into the build dir, and then
"installation" is just a recursive copy.

Phil