strchr, PR 2767, c_std vs c_shadow, and branch failure

I was going to ask about the trunk, but since the bulk merge, I'm also
seeing this on the branch.

Basically, it's PR 2767.  Linking anything against the shared lib gives
"undefined reference to `std::strchr(char const*, int)'".

Is anyone else seeing this?

Switching to c_shadow as noted in the PR trail led to more problems (see
the "abort() in c_shadow?" email), which finally proved too confusing
for me (no declarations of size_t visible to anything, anywhere, since
gcc/include/stddef.h gets confused apparently).  The move to c_shadow is
still the right way to go, but I need advice before I go further.

(This is under i686/Linux.  I'm not even going to try figuring out c_shadow
under Solaris 8 until after 3.0 is done.  "swamp" indeed.)

Phil