Re: PATCH: Adhere to section 17.4.1.2 clause 5 of ISO 14882:1998

Nathan Myers <ncm@nospam.cantrip.org> writes:

| On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 07:49:01PM -0500, Loren James Rittle wrote:
| > For reference, here is section 17.4.1.2 clause 5 of ISO 14882:1998:
| >
| > ``Names which are defined as macros in C shall be defined as macros in
| >   the C++ Standard Library, even if C grants license for
| >   implementation as functions [Note: the names defined as macros in C
| >   include the following: assert, errno, offsetof, setjmp, va_arg,
| >   va_end, and va_start. - end note]''
| >
| > Are you honestly telling me that there is no agreement between
| > committee members that the above quoted section has the obvious
| > meaning?  To me, errno is explicit listed as being a macro under C++!
|
| Twice, in fact.  This supposed lack of agreement is just confusion on
| Gaby's part.  Steve is pretty clear that it says it has to be a macro,

In which case he wouldn't have proposed:

   Two possible resolutions to the inconsistencies in the C++ standard:

   1. errno is in the global namespace, not in namespace std.

   2. errno must be a macro, in which case you would never put a
   namespace
   qualifier on it.

-- Gaby