Re: ios_base vanishing from shared objects

Finally got it.  Turns out it was a local change that some of us were
experimenting with offline, but not in the library.  It had been in the
local working tree and I wasn't aware of it.  Check this out:

Having the c++config.h file automatically included by all C++ translation
units has the (utterly unexpected, unfortunate, and certainly unintended)
effect of turning off shared/PIC objects in the v3 src subdir.  And maybe
the libmath subdir too.

Why does libtool care about that file?  Surely it doesn't.  I believe that
libtool was doing tests on the compiler, and discovered something it didn't
like which was introduced by that file.  No idea what.

My head hurts.

Phil