Re: new testsuite failure

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 08:43:15AM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com> writes:
> |
> | That text reads like an 'informative' message rather than an error.
>
> which I consider is a Good Thing :-)

I meant 'informative' in the sense of "this isn't a problem in the code, but
you might want to pay attention," like LOG_INFO in syslog(3).  I agree that
the message is full of information, and that is definitely a Good Thing.  :-)

Well... Let's pretend this wasn't the testsuite code, and that I'm just
some plain ordinary user who hasn't seen the recent discussion on the gcc
list.  If the message is only for information, why does the compile fail?
If there is an error, I don't understand what it is.  I see a lot of "for
your information, this is what's happening" messages, and then everything
simply stops.  Presumably there's some final *problem* that actually causes
the failure.

> There were
> some discussions to that effect between me and Nathan Sidwell, but
> that is not a trivial issue.

I believe it.  Wow, I didn't know there were that many things involved.

Phil