Re: AIX I/O failures

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:17:02PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:

>     Phil> just handwave around the issue of "need to keep the types
>     Phil> separate" -- I believe declaring cin as a char array
>     Phil> *anywhere* is going to get us into trouble.
>
> Why?

Because I'm paranoid.

> This is actually a standard technique, endorsed by ISO.  That's what
> placement new is for, after all.

It's not the placement new that bothers me; I like the use of placement new
that we're already using in ios.cc to construct the real buffers over the
fake ones.  But that didn't involve declaring a variable twice, once with
its real type and again somewhere in a dark corner with a character array.

Anyhow, this might be moot; if David says that the patch I posted (or
something like it) works, I'd rather do tricky things with __foo_storage
than foo itself.  David?  Benjamin?

> If my "opaque" hacks cause people to be sufficiently appalled that
> they do something cleaner, and thereby satisfy the goal, I will be not
> all embarssed -- even if not one line of the code I wrote remains! :-)

Ah, the ruthless, Machiavellian release manager technique.  :-)

Phil