Re: shadowed rel_ops operators

From: Nathan Myers <ncm@nospam.cantrip.org>
Subject: Re: shadowed rel_ops operators
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:46:07 -0800

> The rel_ops operators are not useful.  They were a mistake.  If you
> insist on using them, you will have trouble.  Nobody will care, because
> you asked for it.

Couple of questions:

1) I noticed that some of the backwards compatibility .h's bring these
operators into std::. This makes it so you can't use libraries that
include these headers along with code that uses the new features of
libstdc++-v3. Is there a way around this? It seems to me that in most
cases all the backwards compatibility. you need is mapping iterator.h
to iterator, ... . Maybe there should be a #define that turns off all
the extra backwards compatibility stuff. Just a thought. And maybe a
bad one.

2) It seems to me that rel_ops is a very good idea that went wrong
somehow. Is there anything that replaces them in anyway? It seems to
me they could be very useful if they where designed so they could be
confined easily.

Thank you very much.

-Arthur

PGP signature