Re: Collation implementation

> Making a separate library is a good way to take maintainance
> problems out of a library -- for example before writing GNU
> Smalltalk's JIT compiler I decided to put the back-ends into a
> separate library to keep portability issues out of GNU
> Smalltalk. What do you think?

I'm still concerned about not basing the locale data in the C++
library on the system's locale information (and, what's more
important, on the names that the system uses for its locales). As a
result, a user setting of LANG may not have effect on C++ programs, as
they use different locale names. For a specific example, MS Windows
uses an entirely different way of communicating locale configuration
to the application (by means of a system call), and it also uses
locale names that are totally different from those found on a POSIX
system.

Apart from that, I think having a reentrant GNU locale library is a
good thing. Of course, it would take volunteer's time to create and
maintain it...

Regards,
Martin