general flag passing

From way back when...

Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@cygnus.com> writes:
> I'd like to go ahead and assume from this point going forwards that
> the --enable-libstdcxx-v3 method of configuring is standard. Is this
> indeed the case, or not? If so, I'd like to re-cast two particular configure
> options in a more generic way, so that people who want to use
> -fsquangle, etc can still play around with user-enabled flags in some
> kind of automated way. Sound good?
>
> These are the flags in question:
> --enable-namespaces [default]
> --enable-libgcc-rebuild=DIR / --disable-libgcc-rebuild
>
> Maybe moved to
> --enable-cxx-flags=FLAGS
> (which then rebuilds libgcc with FLAGS)

It's been a while; is this still a desired change?  I have a patch here
that will do this, except for the libgcc rebuilding.  General flags will
be passed down and appear in src/Makefile's AC_CXXFLAGS.

The patch is still missing a tiny piece or two that I need to get from the
mail archives, which are denied to me until our HTTP port gets unblocked
(damn I Love You virus scared the bigwigs).  Functionality is there, but
no comments.

The help output is

  --enable-cxx-flags=FLAGS      pass compiler FLAGS when building library;
                                [default=-fhonor-std]

Now, what should the default flags be, if anything?

Phil