Re: Development status

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 06:17:20PM +0530, Shiv Shankar Ramakrishnan wrote:
> |work on the assumption that programs linked with libstdc++-v3 will be
> |built with -fhonor-std and -fnew-abi if on gcc-2.95.2.  The build
>
> Yes I agree that it would be nice if we could have -fhonor-std and
> -fnew-abi. Does -fnew-abi mean -fsquangle also?

Squangling only affects name mangling.  Normally, when one changes
to another ABI (e.g. vtable, class, exception, and/or rtti layout)
one changes to a different name mangling scheme simultaneously so
that code compiled to different ABIs won't link.  Therefore, -fnew-abi
also turns on squangling.  However, since the ABI defined by the flag
has not settled yet (has it?), all the variations until it does settle
have the same name mangling, and you must be careful about which you
link with what, without help from the linker.

Squangling only affects object size insofar as resulting symbol names
are shorter.

Nathan Myers
ncm@cantrip.org