RE: spoke too soon :)

	Ok, I added that small patch, re-automaked with the new new automake,
and it still failed. It didn't have an NM environment variable properly
set. So I just did setenv NM /usr/ccs/bin/nm and tried the make again
and it built the whole library. Somewhere NM isn't being set correctly
but I don't know where. I looked in libtool and it looks like NM is
trying to be exported ...

(from libtool)
# A BSD-compatible nm program.
NM="/usr/ccs/bin/nm -p"
.
.
.
# The command to extract exported symbols
export_symbols_cmds="\$NM \$libobjs | \$global_symbol_pipe | sed 's/.*
//' | sort | uniq > \$export_symbols"

perhaps NM isn't a part of $export_symbols .. I'm not sure how all of
this gets invoked but it looks like $export_symbols is created based on
an argument it's given...