Re: wstring commented out in egcs-1.1.2 C++ library

On 8 Feb 2000, Steinar Bang wrote:

> Today I was going to use wstring in the egcs 1.1.2 installation,
> that's the native gcc of SuSE linux 6.2,... and found that wstring was
> commented out in <string>.
>
> A couple of searches on the net, found 7 questions like this
> 	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/1999-01/msg00208.html
> 	http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=440749270
> but no useful responses.
>
> However I also found this set of patches:
> 	http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-patches/1999-Jan/0619.html
> and if they work I'm home free.
>
> But I'm curious about the lack of responses to the questions...?  And
> why the patches hasn't been applied?  Doesn't anyone currently
> maintain the old libg++?  Is all effort put into libstdc++-v3?  Are
> the patches applied in gcc-2.95?
>
> Thanx in advance for satisfying my curiousity! :-)
>

> - Steinar

As of about jan 24 or so, libstdc++-v3 supported this much of
  wstring:

#include<string>
  using std::wstring;
  using std::string;

#include<sstream>
  using std::wostringstream;

int main()
  {
    wostringstream wo;
    wo << "Hello!\n";
    wstring hello(wo.str());
  }

(I used a wostringstream because I couldn't think of anyother way to put
  text in wstring; it doesn't have a constructor that takes a char const*
  or one that takes a string. (If I read 21.3.1 correctly, such
  constructors would be an extension.))

I think the 2.90.7 snapshot supported this as well.