Re: New README.html

> The idea is, that it should contain all necessary informations
> to be able to build and use the library (of course, this can be
> made better, but it might be a good starting point).
> To do this I
>  - start with some general references to files of the distribution.
>  - start with the general scenario of building a snapshot/version
>    (this should work as long nothing substantially changes).
>  - shows a way how to enable namespace handling

This is a very good starting point.  Some of the GNUisms can probably be
removed (e.g., GNU tar and GNU ld), but this is certainly helpful.

> Note the following:
> - All necessary stuff to build the library should be available
>   in the downloaded file. E.g. I see no easy way to find how to
>   enable namespaces (beside my new introduction).

Yup.  I added the --enable-namespaces option just before the .7 snapshot
was rolled, so there has not been much feedback.  I had some docs changes
ready to be dropped in once it was working properly (which it looks like
it is).

> - If you use this file, clarify its role compared to README.
>   E.g. write a siongle first line into README that README.html
>   might be a good point to start (if it is worth it).

Probably a good idea.

> For this reason, I also did not talk with Phil about conflict that might
> arise due to other changes in the documentation he makes
> (forgive me!).

No real problem there.  This can be worked in easily.

Phil
Ironically enough, the only thing that seems broken by Y2K on this Linux
box is the xntpd client.