Re: C++ and useful error messages

Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com> writes:

> > emsg2.C:2: `vector' undeclared (first use this function)

> As a student, "first use this function" caused me no end of confusion.
>
> The word 'use' is meant as a noun, pronounced in English with an 's' as in
> "this is the first usage in this function of this type/variable/whatever".
>
> I and fellow classmates were reading "use" as a verb, pronounced in English
> with a 'z' sound, as in "first employ [make use of] this function," and
> we were always muttering, "first use /what/ function?"

Your interpretation of this error message is basically correct.  In
K&R C, there's no need for prototypes, but if you want to take the
address of a function, you have call it first in order to make it
known to the compiler.

Of course, this error message doesn't make sense for the C++ frontend,
but no one seemed to be bothered enough to fix it.

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/