Re: okay, what's a "tagged combination" in libtool?

[snip]

> The correct solution is to add `--tag CXX' to
> LTCXXCOMPILE and maybe CXXLINK, just after $(LIBTOOL), so that libtool
> doesn't have to attempt to infer which configuration to use.

Hmm. Let's try to do the right thing. Here's the relevant parts of
src/Makefile.am:

# Need to explicitly set this so that AM_CXXFLAGS is last. In
# addition, we don't use $(DEFS), which tries to set $(top_srcdir) as
# an include diretory, which screws up shadow headers. (That way,
# things like -O2 passed down from the toplevel can be overridden by
# --enable-debug.)
LTCXXCOMPILE = $(LIBTOOL) --mode=compile $(CXX) $(INCLUDES) \
	       $(AM_CPPFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CXXFLAGS) $(AM_CXXFLAGS)

# We have a problem when building the shared libstdc++ object if the
# rules automake generates would be used.  We cannot allow CXX to be used
# in libtool since this would add -lstdc++ to the link line which of
# course is impossible.
CXXLINK = $(LIBTOOL) --mode=link "$(CC)" @OPT_LDFLAGS@ @SECTION_LDFLAGS@
$(AM_CXXFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

would that be

LTCXXCOMPILE = $(LIBTOOL) --tag CXX ...

or

LTCXXCOMPILE = $(LIBTOOL) --tag $(CXX) ...

or

??

thanks,
benjamin