Re: Latest snapshot won't build with --enable-libstdcxx-v3

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 05:41:53PM +0200, Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:
> I was wondering what was the rationale behind redirecting the
> compiler messages to /dev/null which is exactly the opposite of the
> philosophy exposed above, ie expose the developers  to the messages
> as much as possible!!!

My understanding is that libtool does this.  Watch carefully as those
files are compiled; each source file is being compiled twice; one PIC and
one non-PIC.  The first goes into the .so, the second goes into the .a.

Output and errors from the first are seen.  Since the second compilation is
(presumably) producing the same warnings/errors as the first, its output
is sunk to keep duplicate noise out of the results.

And as you've seen, when the presence of PIC causes different results,
though, Bad Things happen...

Again, just my own conclusions.  I could easily be wrong.
Phil