Re: Collation implementation

Hi,

> Apart from that, I think having a reentrant GNU locale library is a
> good thing. Of course, it would take volunteer's time to create and
> maintain it...

Matt Austern has defined a C API to locale data which he uses in the
SGI implementation of locales. I'm using the same interface in my
implementation. The idea is that all standard C++ library
implementations share a common interface such that porting to a system
is only done once. This would at least cover porting to SGI systems in
a way that the system's locale data is used :-)

I know that Ulrich Drepper has a different idea how to address this
issue but I don't share his view, especially in the light that I think
the right way is to base the standard C library on the standard C++
library and not vice versa (yes, I know that this also causes problems
because the C library is kind of a fundamental base for third party
libraries).

=====
<mailto:dietmar_kuehl@yahoo.com>
<http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>