4 byte wchar_t and portability

I take it that making sizeof(wchar_t)=4 in gcc 3.0 is pretty much a
given?

I didn't know of it until two weeks ago, and it creates problems for
my use of SAX (Simple API for XML) for C++ on my different platforms:
MSVC++ and gcc on linux if they chose wstring or wchar_t to store the
data.

In that case I will have UTF-16 stored into something that could hold
UCS-4 (was probably made this large for that purpose?), and there is
no way for me to make things more efficient without ugly hacks.

Oh well...! :-/

(Just needed to let my frustrations out)