Re: enabling -O2 with gcc 2.96 and later

can you please post the super-duper new patch pre-checkin please? thanks
to everybody, and for Phil for getting the ball rolling.

> Only one other issue before I check this in, barring protests:  Theodore
> Papadopoulo suggested that
>
>    Maybe you want to add -fstrict-aliasing for 2.96 as it has
>    been (temporarily?) invalidated....
>
> I'm not qualified to speak on how aliasing issues affects the contents
> of the src directory (since the Makefiles in, say, the math subdir,
> aren't being changed).

oh man. Please, let's not go here. It took about 2 days to get -O2 working
with the tree-based inlining in 2.96. . . . I suppose if it works, yeah,
enable for 2.96. But if it doesn't, drop it and we'll clean up later.

Of more interest to me is something for --enable-namespaces to turn on
-fhonor-std

-benjamin