Re: Valarray

> First of all, I'm a little confused as to the relative state of development, in
> stable release, latest CVS, and on my system. I have a GCC 2.7.2.3 in /usr/bin
> but have been using egcs then GCC 2.95 then 2.95.1 in /usr/local/bin for half a
> year. I've installed snapshots of libstdc++-v3 but haven't used them.

2.7.x isn't worth mentioning anymore, actually.  I guess it's still needed
for Linux kernels, but don't bother considering it for development if you
want to do recent C++.

> Can someone summarize for me, where current development is?

From the homepage, under "Status":

    "New things that work are in the latest release notes."

and "release notes" is a link to the RELEASE_NOTES file, which contains a list
of "things that work" and "things that don't" as well as "new things."

> What is the version of the standard library in GCC?

The libstdc++ shipped with GCC is version 2.x.  (I think 2.10 with GCC 2.95.1.)

This list and this development effort are for an eventual version 3.  The
current release is in the 2.90.x series, and is quite different from the 2.10.

> I only see a valarray in
> /usr/local/include/g++-3, is that correct? If so, the naming confuses me.

Look again; it is "g++-v3" for the version 3 include files.

> P.P.S There's no easy way to discover the address of this list from the
> homepage.

Hmmmm... there isn't.  I'll change that in my next docs revision.

--
philip.edwards@{sn.wpafb,afrl}.af.mil
Targeting & Attack Radar              PGP ID              UFOs are real.