cerr, cout, and cin won't work under libstdc++ 2.90.4.

I am using egcs 1.1.2, and I've recently upgraded libstdc++ to 2.90.4.
Unfortunately,  I've since been unable to get many of the standard io
streams
to work properly.  File streams are similarly whacked.

 I was able to write a simple "Hello, world" application that worked
("worked"
means it printed a line of text to the terminal window.)  using cout only,
but when
I added a statement using cin to the file,  neither cin or cout would work.
Likewise,
file streams are unable to  read text from a file.

When I compiled an application using  the <iostream> header the compiler
barked
at me, telling me that the file basic_file.h was not present in the
/usr/local/include/g++
directory where the other standard library header files are located.  I had
to fish out
the "basic_file.h" and "libioP.h" files from the distribution and copy them
/usr/local/include/g++, whereupon everything compiled and linked without
complaint.

Do any of these problems ring any bells out there?

Thanks for any help you may render,

Regards,

Stephen Leo