recursive inlines in stl_tree

The stl_tree.cc bit has a nonpublic function called __black_count which is
declared inline.  However, it calls itself.  I fully understand why and what
it's doing.  What confuses me is why this is declared to be inline.  I can
only think of a couple possible reasons, and none of them seem to make sense.

I came across this using egcs1.1 and asking for both -finline-functions and
-Winline (as well as a boatload of other warning opts), and __black_count was
the only one it said it could not inline.  This is also true of the 2.90.2
release.

--
pedwards@ball.com    Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
(937-320-4048)       Advanced Systems & Technology Operations