Re: Static data members in template declarations

According to Jason Merrill:

>  > Within the scope of S<T>, `a', `S::a' and `S<T>::a' are all the same
>  > thing
>
> Nope.  S::a and S<T>::a are the same, but they are dependent, and `a' is
> not.  g++ doesn't currently implement that consistently.

Wouldn't you agree that it should?

As Stroustrup points out, generating warnings or errors for
*potential* inconsistencies is usually the wrong thing.  Rather, only
when *actual* inconsistencies arise -- in this case, at instantiation
-- should the potential error be flagged as an actual error, or else
accepted if it's not wrong.
--
Chip Salzenberg        - a.k.a. -        <chip@perlsupport.com>
      "There -- we made them swerve slightly!"   //MST3K