Re: GCC JIT vs others JIT ....

On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 00:24 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> Out of interest, are you thinking of using this for MELT?  i.e.
> embedding libgccjit inside a gcc plugin?  If so, I wonder if there could
> be nasty interactions between the two copies of the GCC code?

(for other readers, MELT refers to http://gcc-melt.org/ a high level
domain specific language to extend GCC; MELT is a GCC plugin -
generating C++ code fit into GCC)

Yes and no.

Indeed, I am thinking of LIBJIT or GCC JIT in something remotely related
to MELT, but that won't be in the MELT plugin.

I am dreaming of a MELT monitor, which would be an *external* process to
MELT and will :

    give a web interface to MELT, displaying code using Code Mirror
http://codemirror.net/

    communicate asynchronously with compilations using the MELT plugin

    store some persistent information

That MELT monitor could use JIT techniques (but it is a separate process
from cc1 or cc1plus -fplugin=melt ....). But there won't be nasty
interactions between the monitor and the cc1 because they are separate
processes - with some bi-directional pipes to communicate...

all this is just a dream today.
*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***