Re: Interface gcj-compiled library with Java programs in a runtime (other than gij)?

On 02/12/2012 08:31 PM, Yi Lin wrote:
Thank you. I think I may have missed a keyword here: CNI. I avoid using
JNI for performance degradation.

The detailed scenario is like:
There are two parts of code.

-SomeJavaCode.java: containing a method call to NativeJavaLib.a().
This part of code remains in bytecode

So really what you are talking about is SomeJavaCode.class running the the libgcj interpreter.

I am just going from memory here, but I think that the interpreter can only call native code via JNI.

For compiled code, CNI may be faster. So...

-NativeJavaLib.java: declaring 'native void a()'

... rename this bit like this:

private native void _a();

/* 'Trampoline' to native code. */
void a()
{
	_a();
}

-NativeJavaLib.cpp: implementing a() via CNI

In here rename a() to _a().

This part is compiled to libJavaLib.so

Now you have not changed SomeJavaCode.java in any way, but it is instead calling a normal java method in the NativeJavaLib.java, which takes care of doing the proper CNI calling.

Now SomeJavaCode can be executed correctly with 'gij' interpreter; I
think there is no JNI involved. But it cannot run on HotSpot or other
VM. If I have to use JNI to do this, then the approach is much less
attractive.

Thanks,
Yi