Re: Is GCJ still active?

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, lucianomanzo wrote:

Hi Joel,

Congratulations for this excellent project!!

If I understend, it's possible to compile java code to binary code?

Yes, Avian supports either JIT (just-in-time) or AOT (ahead-of-time) compilation to machine code, or a mix of both.

A SWT application runs with avian?

Yes.

Please direct any further questions or comments about Avian to avian@googlegroups.com, since they're off-topic for this list. Thanks.

Thank you

On 06-02-2012 16:56, Joel Dice wrote:
On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Harpal Grover wrote:

> > > *.class files to *.dll and *.so files so that this files can run
> > > without jre.
> > > 22, 2009. I need to compile the java files and support JDK 1.7
> > > features. So does GCJ still active and may support JDK 1.7 in > > > future?
> > development still going on, but at present there are no plans to do
> > a release that supports Java 1.7 features.
> > > So naturally, the next question then would be:
> > Will there be any capabilities to compile java applications to native
> binaries using the OpenJDK? If not, who should we contact to convey
> the ever so popular and growing interest in being able to do this for
> Linux, OS X and Windows?

 Avian[1] will do this well enough to run e.g. Eclipse, Tomcat, Jython,
 etc., but I haven't tested any Swing/AWT apps yet.  OpenJDK 6 is
 supported, and I've just started on a OpenJDK 7 port.

* [1] http://oss.readytalk.com/avian/