Re: Is GCJ still active?

Hi Joel,

Congratulations for this excellent project!!

If I understend, it's possible to compile java code to binary code?

A SWT application runs with avian?

Thank you

On 06-02-2012 16:56, Joel Dice wrote:
On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Harpal Grover wrote:

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:

On 02/05/2012 06:33 PM, åæç wrote:

I am doing a project(open source) and need to complie some java
*.class files to *.dll and *.so files so that this files can run
without jre.

I found there only have to tools can do it: Jet and GCJ.

Jet is not under GPL license. And the latest release of GCJ was on Sep
22, 2009. I need to compile the java files and support JDK 1.7
features. So does GCJ still active and may support JDK 1.7 in future?

gcj ahas been released several times since then. There is a little development still going on, but at present there are no plans to do a release that supports Java 1.7 features.

Andrew.

So naturally, the next question then would be:

Will there be any capabilities to compile java applications to native
binaries using the OpenJDK? If not, who should we contact to convey
the ever so popular and growing interest in being able to do this for
Linux, OS X and Windows?

Avian[1] will do this well enough to run e.g. Eclipse, Tomcat, Jython, etc., but I haven't tested any Swing/AWT apps yet. OpenJDK 6 is supported, and I've just started on a OpenJDK 7 port.

* [1] http://oss.readytalk.com/avian/