Re: Use gcj to compile for avr/embedded device

Hello:

We have our own port of gcc/gcj 3.4.3 for arm-wince-pe.  This is a
different target than AVR (obviously) but the use case you describe is
identical to ours.

You will find that the single most important thing may be to avoid the
gcc/gcj 4.x series.  This is because the libgcj for 4.x is vastly
larger.  How much larger?  You can pretty much count on a factor of
about 2.  For our Voice XML browser, this meant that the statically
linked 4.x binary was about 14MB as opposed to just under 7MB for
3.4.3.  Not a problem if you can afford the bigger binary, but we
didn't have that much flash to burn.

If you have a linuxey runtime environment on AVR the port won't be too
hard.  If you don't it's much more difficult.  Getting
arm-wince-pe-gcj fully operational for Windows CE targets was very
difficult, especially for the garbage collector, interpreter and class
very rewarding.

Craig Vanderborgh
Voxware Incorporated

--
"Without forgiveness one remains a prisoner of one's past" -- John Paul II