gcj 4.3.0 on mpc860 kernel 2.4.24

Hello all, this is my first posting to the java@gcc list. First off: I'd like to thank the gcj team for making java 5 a reality; we're very excited to start using generics and more in our embedded application. And then...

I have been trying to get a working cross toolchain (i686 -> mpc860) working. So far I have been able to build a working chroot on the device (busybox, ssh, rsync, ...) using a 4.3.0 toolchain (binutils 2.18, glibc 2.5, kernel 2.4.24). So I think this is a gcj problem...

However, when trying to execute a java hello world, I get a segfault. In a debugger, when i 'stepi' the program execution never gets past natString.cc:60
58 _Jv_StringFindSlot (jchar* data, jint len, jint hash)
59 {
60 JvSynchronize sync (&java::lang::String::class$);

It's not the first time into this sync, and it always occurs the second time that data has been created from the string "". I have read a little about the changes in the threading libs and I'm getting scared. Perhaps linuxthreads-2.5 on 2.4.24 isn't 'posix' enough for gcj 4.3.0 ?

I was hoping some nice person out there could either:
1) tell me it is not possible to use gcj 4.3.0 on my glibc/kernel versions; or
2) please help me to fix my build of gcj 4.3.0 on 2.4.24: I have stack traces, the configure commands, flags etc. (I didn't want to spam the list if 1 is the case).

or both. :)

Cheers,

Ben Gardiner
Software R&D