Re: Creating and using GCJ ARM cross compiler

Matthijs van de Water wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>>  Well, we don't know what's wrong.  It might be quite minor or it might
>>  be a big problem.  I suspect that exception handling is broken, but
>>  there's no way to know until you step through with gdb to find out
>>  where the problem happens.
> I'm doing this now, but the progress is slow. I guess I need to change
> my setup to use gdbclient/server, because gdb on the target is really
> slow with libgcj.

Oh, OK.  I don't really see why that is; it's plenty fast when I use it.
I guess you have a slower ARM.

> The last time I was stepping, a "next" over
> gnu::gcj::runtime::ExtensionClassLoader::initialize(); (called from
> _Jv_InitClass in libjava/prims.cc)
> triggered the crash. I'll try stepping into that one now, but the last
> time I did that gdb got lost once it hit *ClassLoader.java...

That's almost certainly exception handling.  Put your bp on _Jv_Throw.

> Thanks for your efforts, I perfectly understand that you're not going
> to spend much time to debug this Debian-patched version. If after
> pinpointing the crash that does not trigger any ideas from you, I'm
> going to refocus on GCC 4.3.
>
> One other thing I had been meaning to ask: is the version of binutils
> or glibc (or anything else) important? I'm currently using glibc 2.6.1
> and binutils 2.18.

On the target I have

binutils 2.18.1~cvs20071027-1
libc6 2.7-6

On x-the host I have a random binutils I checked out from trunk about
six months ago.