Re: libjava threads vs no-threads?

Dave Korn wrote:
On 23 April 2007 01:53, Mohan Embar wrote:

Hi Dave,

Hi Mohan, thanks for answering.

 Here's the patch from last December that introduced ParkHelper:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2006-q4/msg00246.html
but I couldn't find any discussion of the no-threads case in the related
conversation; I did, however, find a post from 2004 saying "Expect it to be
bit-rotted".
I was the one who did the ParkHelper refactoring and can confirm that
accounting for the no-threads case wasn't a requirement for this patch
being accepted. The higher-ups can certainly comment more, but I was under the impression
that the no-threads code seems untouched and unloved in all the years I've
been on this list.

That all makes sense to me. It would make sense to tidy it up by removing libjava/include/no-threads.h and making configure issue a fatal warning if compiled without any --enable-threads option, wouldn't it?

It used to work, but as Mohan mentioned has suffered bit rot. The best case would be to restore it to working order.

The threads setting should default to the proper value. If you are getting failures, then you are either asking for a broken configuration which should be fixed, or you are specifying an invalid combination in which case configure should be made to offer a helpful diagnostic.

It is unclear to me which of these cases you find yourself in.

David Daney