Re: libgcj_bc.so not embedded

Mohsen Saboorian writes:
 > >  > > It's not supposed to be.  The idea is that you compile your program
 > >  > > and it dynamically links with the libgcj installed on the system.
 > >  >
 > >  > Then what happens for example in Windows, where there is no such
 > >  > linkable library. Is it possible to statically link my program with
 > >  > this .so file so that there would be an absolute stand-alone
 > >  > application?
 > >
 > > Not quite, but you can link using -static-libgcj.  It doesn't work for
 > > all Java programs, and in general it's a bad idea.  Why do you want to
 > > do this, anyway?
 >
 > I have a Java application and want to have it work on OLPC
 > (laptop.org). OLPC uses a very light FC 5 I think, which doesn't have
 > any GCJ library, since their main development environment is Python
 > and JavaScript. I'll try -static-libgcj option to see if this works.

OK, that makes sense.  If you are installing into a standard Fedora
system it makes no sense at all even if statically linking does work
for your particular application, since libgcj is backwards compatible
and if you link statically you won't automatically get bug fixes to
libgcj.  If you're the only application usig libgcj it might well make
sense to save space.

Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903