Re: Compatibility with Sun's java

On Monday 29 January 2007 18:55, Marco Trudel wrote:
> Andy Pepperdine wrote:
[...]
> > However, I've immediately hit serious problems.
> >
> > 1. I first tried using gij on the existing (Sun generated) jar files. It
> > starts, but the initial display is wrong (two of the text panes contain
> > only the first line of text, and not the rest). It responds very slowly
> > - we're talking an order of magnitude or more slower than Sun's java.
> > And the display does not always get updated after an action, but only
> > after something else triggers a rewrite, but I can't figure out what
> > triggers it. There are other problems with the text pane, too as it
> > seems to produce multiple copies of the text put into it. But on the
> > whole it seems to work, although it is not usable in practice.
>
> You are using GCJ/GIJ 4.1.0. I wouldn't expect too much of AWT/Swing
> with that version.

OK, understand. If I've got time, I'll look to get a later version.

[...]
> > 3. I then tried to run the make using gcj and fastjar. It compiled
> > and created the jar archives without any failures being reported, but an
> > attempt to run the resulting file got this:
> >
> > [quote]
> > andrew@laptop:~/Dev/Products/Sokuku/1.0-3$ gij -jar Sokuku-en-1.0-3.jar
> > Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from Sokuku-en-1.0-3.jar
> > [/quote]
>
> You probably forgot to add the Main-Class attribute to the manifest...

If I unpack the archive, and look in META-INF/MANIFEST.MF I find the line:
Main-Class: Sokuku.Main
the same as when built with Sun's java.

When I give the archive generated by gcj and fastjar to Sun's java, it
complains the archive is corrupt.
[...]
> If you want a regular Ubuntu package, you should wait and test whatever
> comes your way. If you want to have it running now, you can easily
> download and use a Sun JRE or, if you have some knowledge of compiling
> and alike, download the latest GCJ source and try with it. Although I
> doubt GCJ 4.3 (GNU Classpath 0.93) has already complete AWT/Swing
> support. But I really don't know.

I might try that. The AWT/Swing is very simple stuff.
[...]

Thanks for the info.

Andy.