Re: Up-to-date News on GCJ

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
We can perhaps use one of the designs posted on OSWD:

http://www.oswd.org/

We'd need to keep the fixed footers etc., though I noticed that
the main FSF page changed to a somewhat more modern design a while
ago as well. One common, modern theme, with variations, across
GNU project probably would be best, but not too likely I dare say.

I quite like the new www.gnu.org design. Its much more modern looking than the gcc/gcj pages now. I certainly wouldn't object to using www.gnu.org as a model for a redesign of the gcc/gcj pages.

Does GCJ really have different PR needs? Frankly, I'd like to give
GCJ much more presence in terms on the GCC side, and ramp of GCC PR
quite a bit. I don't necessarily think the needs are so different,
rather that GCJ may be doing better. :-)

IMO we do have - somewhat - different PR needs. For one thing, our audience is different - we're reaching out to Java developers who may not necessarily have any interest in C/C++ or the rest of the compiler suite. Also, GCJ can be seen as a collection of technologies of which the compiler is just one part. That isn't to say the pages should be separate, but it would be confusing if (for example) too much non-Java information were to be seen on the GCJ pages. I'd like to see GCJ maintain (and grow) its own web identity alongside GCC.

Bryce