Re: need to focus on java performance?

David Daney wrote:
In x86 code, a call instruction has the same size as a mov to eax. So instead of trapping, initially encode all static accesses as a call to a stub. When patching the code, rewrite it to a load (mov). This avoids all trapping. Non-starter eliminated

We really need to look at this in the context of shared libraries and the dynamic linker: Shared libraries add their own overheads and indirection. The question is can we make use of the shared library indirection without adding extra indirection? I'm assuming the people who designed the binary-compatible ABI have looked closely at this, and perhaps done some brainstorming with people who really know the dynamic linker. -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/