Re: need to focus on java performance?

On Sun, 21 May 2006, Tom Tromey wrote:

FWIW this isn't that interesting of a goal for me.  I think
compatibility is very important.  For one thing it is the way to
leverage all the existing free java code out there.  The idea is, we
have a free system from bottom to top, except for this one proprietary
slice in the middle.  And our goal, as I see it, is to make this slice
free as well.

Does this mean that, if Sun were to fully open source Java so that it were really free, the gcj project would be dropped ?

While a really free java would be great, losing gcj as a consequence would be very sad. In addition to providing a free java environment, gcj makes java eminently more usable by non-java programs. It breaks Java's insularity by making it available from C++ and other languages via CNI, embeddable, and a lot smaller when I'm able to statically link a shared library with libgcj
which I can do with gcj 3.4.x).

Andi..