Re: Importing GNU Classpath 0.91 on gcc classpath svn branch

Tom Tromey wrote:
"Mark" == Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> writes:

Mark> I made some notes on how I do these merges so others can
Mark> improve the process

Please update libjava/HACKING with this info.

Mark>   - Other files should have a "GCJ LOCAL" comment, or are mentioned
Mark>     in the classpath/ChangeLog.gcj file.
Mark>     (Don't forget to svn resolved files.)

I think we ought to have a policy of no divergences underneath the
classpath/ directory.  I think we fail this right now, but we can fix
that.

Mark> scripts/makemake.tcl > sources.am

I found out yesterday that there are some .properties files that we
aren't compiling in to libgcj.  I'll update makemake to account for
this.

There is a bigger problem here, though, which is that compiling in
properties files messes up static links.  I don't really know what to
do about this.

In general it is a problem, but currently for my specific case, no properties files are needed. But when the locale merge happens, this may change...

I know Bryce's locale merge was going to work around this by putting
the resource bundles into a separate .jar that is read at runtime.
This seems ok but it does mean that the required runtime support grows
somewhat.

Perhaps someone who uses static linking can think of a good solution.

We already have to figure out which classes need to be linked due to reflective class access. Properties are really no different.

My suggestion: For now change no code. Do some hand waving on the static linking wiki page, and let all those static linkers figure it out for themselves. They are a hardy bunch, they should survive.

In my build system I might put all of the known needed properties in a file with each line taking the form: --resource foo

We might want to somehow make --resource search for the resources in libgcj-x.y.z.jar so that specifying the path to the resource was simpler. Perhaps a --libgcj-resource directive that does the same thing as --resource, but looks for the resource *only* in the proper libgcj.jar file

Then that file would be added to the final link line with the @file directive.

I don't much like the idea of an external jar file containing the resources. It is too easy to mix up different versions of things.

David Daney