Re: Build of 4.1.0 in cross env

Andrew Haley wrote:
FERANDELLE Pascal writes:
> > > Andrew Haley a écrit :
> > > FERANDELLE Pascal writes:
> > > I am trying to build GCC 4.1.0 for a powerpc-linux target, on PC/Linux, and I have problems in the build of java parts.
> > > During the build, there are calls to powerpc-linux-gcj, powerpc-linux-gcjh commands, which do not exist, as we are just building it ...
> >
> > We don't know what you're doing.
> >
> > You have to tell us *exactly* how you configured and built. Maybe
> > then we'll be able to figure out what is cauing the problem.
> >

> > - extraction of gcc-core-4.1.0.tar, gcc-g++-4.1.0.tar and gcc-java-4.1.0.tar
> > - ./configure --with-sysroot=/VMPC/BlueCat --enable-langages=c,java --target=powerpc-linux
> (my Linux PowerPC environment is under /VMPC/BlueCat)

Configuring gcc in the srcdir is truly scary, and I'm surprised it
works at all, but I don't know that's the cause of your problem.

"First, we highly recommend that GCC be built into a separate
directory than the sources which does not reside within the source
tree. This is how we generally build GCC; building where srcdir ==
objdir should still work, but doesn't get extensive testing; building
where objdir is a subdirectory of srcdir is unsupported.

"To configure GCC:

        % mkdir objdir
        % cd objdir
        % srcdir/configure [options] [target]"

> - modification ot the LDFLAGS_FOR_TARGET variable in the Makefile, to put :
> LDFLAGS_FOR_TARGET = -L/VMPC/BlueCat -L/VMPC/BlueCat/lib -L/VMPC/BlueCat/usr/lib
> -Wl,-rpath-link -Wl,/VMPC/BlueCat
> -Wl,-rpath-link -Wl,/VMPC/BlueCat/lib
> -Wl,-rpath-link -Wl,/VMPC/BlueCat/usr/lib
> > (without this, lots of libraries are not found during link phases
> of the build, and I also have to copy two libraries of my Linux
> PPC environment to /usr/local/powerpc-linux/lib directory)

I don't like this either.  --with-sysroot is supposed to do the right
thing here.  I would investigate this a bit further.

It sounds to me as though gcj's build system may be broken for cross
compilers in the 4.1 release, but I'd like you to try a more
conventional configure and make first.

FWIW MIPS cross compilers build out-of-the-box with 4.1 (at least for me), but I always set --prefix to the same value as --with-sysroot.

David Daney